4 medium baking potatoes (fluffy variety)
Get an adult to heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and bake the potatoes for about 1 hr until cooked and the skins are crispy.
600g cooked baked potatoes, cooked flesh scooped out (skins reserved to make skins)
60g plain flour, plus extra for dusting (or, if you like, you can use fine oatmeal here instead)
¼ tsp baking powder – mixed into the flour before adding
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Extra butter or vegetable, sunflower or groundnut oil, for cooking
nb; if using cold leftover mashed potato here – warm through about 500gr cooked weight mashed potato, add the butter and then fold in the 60g flour mixed and ¼ tsp baking powder.
- Mash the potatoes with the butter and salt and pepper until smooth and combined.
- Add the flour and baking powder and work this into the potato quickly with a light kneading action. Divide the dough in two and roll out each half on a lightly floured board to form a circle about the size of a dinner plate. Cut into quarters (farls).
- In a non stick frying pan over a moderate heat, add the cooking fat and when hot, add the farls, frying for about 3 minutes on each side until nicely coloured and hot through.
- Repeat with the other half of the dough.
- Butter and a little salt
- Butter and jam or honey
- Grilled, roasted or fried vegetables – mushrooms, pumpkin, peas
- Poached or fried egg
- Grated cheese – and placed under a hot grill for a minute or 2 to melt
Baked Stuffed Potatoes
4 cooked baking potaoes
100g grated cheese
4 spring onions, or a bunch chives – finely chopped
1 tsp mustard (optional)
Salt and pepper
Paprika to taste (optional)
- Get an adult to heat the oven to 200C/gas 6 (if it isn’t already on from the potato baking).
- Cut the potatoes in half and use a spoon to scoop out the middle of the potato, leaving the skin unbroken (like a boat). Place the scooped potato into a bowl.
- Mash the potato until there are no lumps, then stir ¾ of the cheese, the mustard (if using) and herbs into the potato mixture, then add salt and pepper to taste ans dust with paprika if using
- Using the spoon, carefully scoop the mixture back into the potato boats. Make sure that you use all the mixture up. Sprinkle with a little extra grated cheese and place on a baking tray. Using oven gloves, place the tray in the oven and bake for 10-15 mins until golden.
Baked potato skins
Empty potato skins (from farls or mashed potato)
Salt and pepper
Ground cumin and paprika
2 tbsp olive oil
- Get an adult to heat the oven to 200C/gas 6 (if it isn’t already on from the potato baking.
- Toss all the ingredients together, adding the salt and spices to taste
- Bake for 15 minutes until crisp
- Use to scoop up guacamole or houmous